Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Happy birthday Madonna!


In honour of Madonna's birthday today [she is 53] I have been reminiscing about being in a Madonna tribute act with the rest of the kids on my road growing up. This mainly meant listening to Madonna tapes on repeat in our respective garage lofts or parents' cars (this is what we did for entertainment in the 80s). Occasionally there would be a street BBQ where our neighbours would be forced to watch our 'performance' - coordinated dance routines (jumping out from different parts of the rockery) and bad singing. I really hope they were drinking a lot at that point.

My obsession started at the age of six. She was the most glamorous thing I had ever seen - she wore rags in her hair! and armfuls of bracelets! and crop tops! I was an excitable child. And despite the fact that she was nearer to my mum in age (something that never crossed my mind then) I wanted to be her so bad that when my older friends got tickets to her concert and I wasn't allowed to go I cried big, fat, tears into my pillow. About five years ago I saw her at Wembley and my inner six year old rejoiced. It was everything I ever imagined it would be and more. I mentally high-fived my six year old self. "You made it kid, you finally made it."

TRUE FACT: When I was 10 I won a fancy dress competition at my friend Hannah's birthday party dressed as 'The First Album' Madonna. Good times.


No comments:

Post a Comment