Friday, 6 August 2010

Paris je t'aime

Oh Paris. City of my dreams ... I had the most wonderful birthday in in the city of light. We stayed in the 8eme, near Rue Faubourg St Honore (fatal) and a stone's throw from all the major sights. The red geraniums on our balcony were particularly picturesque ...
I don't think I saw one single bad piece of architecture. It doesn't exist here.

We did enough to fill 1,000 blogs so I will keep it short and sweet, like a Laduree macaroon ...
How beautiful are their windows? Vive les vacances indeed! We had birthday afternoon tea in the tearoom on rue Bonaparte - you should visit just to see the beautiful, whimsical wall paintings. I chose the rose petal desert to accompany my Earl Grey ...
As tasty as it was beautiful. Even the china these treats are served up on is covetable ...
If I lived in Paris I would eat there every day. And be poverty stricken. And very overweight. Still a girl can dream. I also got a raspberry tart as a takeaway that I ate for breakfast the following morning (sadly it didn't last long enough for me to take a photo of it). Oops.

Aside from all the eating (mmm steak frites) we also did a LOT of walking, clocking up seven (yes, really) hours on our first day. We stumbled across the Paris Plage, which I'd been hoping to see ...
If you can't get to the beach, the beach comes to you. Genius. Can London please adopt this idea?

We also found a really sweet market in the Marais called Marche des Enfants Rouges, which literally translates as the market of the red children, named for the uniform of the children who lived in the former orphanage here. Aside from the food there were boxes and boxes of old black and white photos. I could have spent hours happily browsing ...
And what's a trip to rue Faubourg St Honore without a pit-stop at Prada?
Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment