Tuesday, 15 June 2010
Harvey Nichols sale starts tomorrow. My best tips are:
1. Buy things you love
2. Select pieces that work for now but with a bit of clever layering will also work for autumn/ winter.
3. Take a look at the big, key shows for A/W10 before setting foot in a store: Celine, Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton, Prada and Stella.
4. If there's leather in your size and you can afford it, buy it (see the Celine show).
5. Ditto anything in camel.
6. Have fun. If picking through rails of tat on the off-chance that you could find hidden treasure isn't for you, stay home.
7. Revisit the sale after a few days. People will have returned impulse purchases and you might strike it lucky.
8. Check the store's returns policy.
9. Wear comfortable clothes that are easy to take off and put back on. Vest and leggings under a simple dress are a good move. Tights are no for trying on shoes.
10. Be honest with yourself. Are you buying it because it looks good in the ad campaign? Are you buying it because there's 70 per cent off? Are you buying it with the idea that it's almost right and you can change it? Ask yourself - if you haven't worn it within 14 days are you ever going to wear it?