Thursday, 17 June 2010

The art of the perfect trench

It might seem like a silly time to be thinking of coats but the classic trench is a coat for every season (even summer in England). Worn open with the belt knotted behind your back over a simple dress or jeans and a t-shirt for spring or with knits layered under it for cooler days it's the go-anywhere staple.

Burberry is the pinnacle of trench design ...


... and Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's the ultimate icon.
The perfect trench works for any age. Just check out Audrey in later years for a lesson in chic style for the over 30s.
My recent obsession with tracking done the ultimate version stems from my birthday trip to Paris. I've been planning the perfect wardrobe for my jaunt ever since I booked it two months ago. Barely a day goes by when I'm not planning my outfit for fizz in first class on the Eurostar or dinner at Chez Georges and dancing at Le Baron.

With this in mind, I hit Banana Republic's sale last night. Banana Republic have long been my go-to for classic staples and I wasn't disappointed. Well, I was slightly disappointed because there were no beige trenches left in any size under an XL in the Regent Street store. Instead I picked up a rather natty black version with a cool stripey lining for under £100.

It has the right details and an extra long belt, brilliant for tying in a knot (it's important not to nerdily belt your mac, instead tie a louche knot like a true Parisian). Hopefully I won't need a mac in July but at least I'm prepared ...

No comments:

Post a Comment